Experienced New York Attorney Provides All the Components of an Elder Law Estate Plan
Comprehensive service enhances protections for health, wealth and welfare
If you have resisted making an estate plan, you’re not alone. Many of our clients postpone their estate issues until they are well into retirement. Although it’s preferable to begin planning early, there is still a great deal an experienced estate planning attorney can do to help elders later in life. The Cormac McEnery Law Firm puts in place the most comprehensive plan possible for your protection. We work closely with you to learn all about your circumstances, so you can have a custom-tailored estate plan that fits your needs.
Experienced counsel thoroughly explains your estate planning options
Having practiced elder law for more than 35 years, attorney Cormac McEnery knows how to construct a comprehensive estate plan for seniors. Vital elements include:
- Wills — Every person should have a last will and testament. If you die without a valid will, your estate passes to your heirs according to New York’s intestacy laws, rather than according to your wishes. A will can eliminate delays in distributing your assets, so your heirs who might need that financial assistance get it as soon as possible.
- Healthcare proxies and living wills — These instruments help you take charge of your medical care. You can appoint a trusted individual to make decisions if you become incapacitated, and you can set the limits for the type of lifesaving intervention you find acceptable.
- Asset protection — Choose from various strategies designed to guard your wealth from creditors, liability claimants and taxation.
- Medicaid eligibility planning — Protect your assets, especially your home, and make yourself eligible for Medicaid assistance if you require long-term nursing care.
- Trusts — You can create entities that hold your assets for your use and eventual transfer to your heirs. Trusts can reduce your exposure to estate taxes as well as state and federal income taxes. Trusts are very flexible instruments, so you can tailor them to many purposes, such as providing limited income for a spendthrift or structuring inheritances for a current spouse and children from a previous marriage.
- Powers of attorney — You can appoint a trustworthy person to manage a range of tasks, from paying your monthly bills to overseeing your finances.
Our personalized approach to estate planning helps to ensure that you have the protections you need in place.
Contact our Manhattan law firm for a comprehensive elder estate plan
The Cormac McEnery Law Firm is determined to create a comprehensive estate plan to fit your circumstances. If you’ve resisted the idea of drafting a will and other legal documents, we can make the process easy and put in place the protections you need. Call us today at 888.368.4329 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our City Island, Manhattan or Brooklyn Heights office.